Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 09:51:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Eric Wayte <ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Wes Peters wrote:
> Yes, all of the above are bad, and they're a sign of an even worse
> problem.  FreeBSD has done well for the past 8 years due in large part
> because it an energetic and persuasive "product manager" in the person
> of Jordan K. Hubbard pushing, cajoling, and badgering the CD-ROM
> product through the arduous steps of production.  Those who think
> this process happens on auto-pilot are deluded; it has to be baby-
> stepped through every time.

The main issues are the distribution files that are not
standardized, not memorialized in the makefiles, the
binary only files which belong to Walnut Creek and can't
really be distributed by others, and the holes in the
build process (particularly, the 34 or so ports necessary
for the Docs build, the package file assembly, and the
X11 distribution that's built out and installed in its
own weird-ass format, instead of as a package).

I believe that the packages are still built-out by
Satoshi, not Jordan.  The docs ports are problematic:
recently, with the ftp.freebsd.org fiasco, it was not
possible to build a full release, unless you happened
to know that there was exactly one non-deleting mirror
where you could get the required files (in England).

It also pointed out the flaws in the single point of
failure model.

> Specifically, we need a Product Manager who can shepherd
> FreeBSD through the release process, and coordinate with
> CD-ROM distributor(s) who are interested in producing and
> selling CDs, DVDs, etc of the "official" FreeBSD distribution.

Actually, No.  What needs to happen is that the tools
needed to do the build need to be collected with the
rest of the sources, so that the system is fully self
hosted.

It would also be nice if someone wanted to commit those
patches I made to sysinstall and the /usr/src/release
Makefile to permit building CDROMs with other-than-GENERIC
kernels to actually work.  PAO and others agreed that they
were desirable.

-- Terry