Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:42:06 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reboot of 5.2.1

I am testing 5.2.1 in preperation for moving production servers
eventually from 4.6 to 5.x.  Most of the issues I have figured out, but
there is one that I cannot get to work - shutdown -r now.  Rebooting
dies consistently.  With the GENERIC kernel I get the message:

Rebooting...
Keyboard reset did not work, attempting CPU shutdown

In NOTES is a dexcription of BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET so I added that and
rebuilt the kernel.  Now all I get is the Rebooting... line and nothing
more.  Granted the system I am using for testing is not at all like the
production hardware, but rebooting worked fine on 4.6 with this system.
  I am very reluctant to convert any production systems unless I can be
sure they can successfully be rebooted without having a person on-site.
  These machines are all unattended and quite far away.  Is there a
workaround for this issue?

-- Doug