Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 17:03:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow CD-Player detection?

Hi

I have a Philips PCA21CR atapi-cd-player. Once detected it works well. But
the detection at boot-time costs a little.
As recommended before by the freebsd-list I removed other types of
cd-players in my setup, but it still a little slow, look:

wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <ST3491A-XR>
wd1: 408MB (836070 sectors), 899 cyls, 15 heads, 62 S/T, 512 B/S

<wait for 10 sec's>

wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa

<wait for 30 sec's>

wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <PHILIPS PCA21CR/A2.0>, removable, iordy
wcd0: 344Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 256 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked, lock protected

So I have to wait twice for a "pretty long time" (when speaking of
booting). The player works, so there's nothing wrong with that, but why
that stupid delay?

I just have the usual fd- and wdc-'controllers' with the 'disks' for it,
and the options 'ATAPI, ATAPI_STATIC' and device wcd0...
Do I have to disable the disks for my secondary controller on which my
cd-player is on...?

Strage, is this because the ATAPI-support is still beta?

Paul