Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:35:17 -0400
From:      "Charles Morris" <charlesmorris@wvdhhr.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   installing packages

I am able to successfully install freeBSD 4.2 release and x11 from a DOS =
hard drive, but have run into constant problems while installing anything =
from the packages distribution.  I try to install sawfish and gnome using =
sysinstall but after reading the index, I receive error messages saying it =
is unable to fetch any of the componets, even though they are in the =
proper directories on the DOS drive. =20

I then tried to install over a PPP connection, but mysteriously the =
process stops downloading after receiving about 17408 bytes of the first =
componet (gettext) .  I tried this several times using different ftp sites =
and between passive and active modes, but the results are always identical.=
  It reads the index, starts downloading gettext, and then just stops =
downloading anything.  The modem lights show it is still online, but it =
just stops downloading.=20