Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 18:10:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Per Engelbrecht" <per@xterm.dk>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how many IP aliases

>> There is no upper limit.

ok.
>>> do know that 128 addresses isn't a problem - depending of course
>>> on your setup such as ram, cpu, board and last but not least,
>>> nic. Don't do it on a $20 nomame-nic.
>>
>> It doesn't make any difference to the NIC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but addresses to a interface is 'managed'
by SIOCAIFADDR and yes, that has noting to do with the nic itself.

But a server-box with a $20 noname-nic with a small amount of ram,
a slow cpu and 128 ip-aliases sounds more like a academic exercise
(even though it can be done) than a practical solution.
Again correct me if I'm wrong.

respectfully
/per
per@xterm.dk