Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:10:05 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Langa Kentane <evablunted@earthling.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Server problems

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 02:41:10PM +0200, Langa Kentane wrote:
> Hi.
> I have a problem with my FreeBSD 3.2-R server.  I cannot telnet to the
> server and when I look at the hdd light it shows me that my drive (ide) is
> being read.
>
> I ping the server and it responds ok but I cannot telnet or ftp to the
> server.  What could my problem be.  I do not have a monitor or keyboard
> attached to the machine so I cannot check if it's responding to the
> keyboard.
>
> How do I fix this without hard resetting the machine.

How do you think this would work by resetting the machine?

Telnet by root is by default disabled in FreeBSD. Lo in as a user
trusted to be root and `su -` to root. If you want ftp you have to set
up FreeBSD to allow ftp. Start (as root) /stand/sysinstall There you can
add an ftp account and enable ftp.

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_