Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:22:04 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        m.hauber@mchsi.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portugrade -aR (except)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:56:50 -0400
Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com> wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
> I am running 4.10-Stable, and I have the following question
> about portupgrade.
>
> So far, I have not had a successful build of OpenOffice (on
> any version of FreeBSD...  ever...  so I use their binaries
> as they become available), and the samba port is broken
> (until I upgrade the system to 5.x).
>
> What I do now is simply grep a list of installed ports with
> updates available and send the outbut to a file. (ie,  #
> portversion | grep "<" > ~/pupdate.sh )
>
> Then I edit ~/pupdate.sh so that every line begins with
> "portupgrade -R."  (And, of course, I delete the samba and
> OpenOffice entries) In other words my file would look
> something like this:
>

> #!/bin/sh
> portupgrade -R blip
> portupgrade -R blop
> portupgrade -R bluey
> <<<
>
> make it executable, run it overnight, and fix the small
> stuff in the morning.
>
> Obviously, because I like to upgrade my systems every week,
> this gets old.  Is there any way I can tell portupgrade to
> simply portupgrade -aR (except for a specific list of
> packages)?
>
> If not, does anyone have a more simple solution?
>
> And again, if not, would this be considered a worthy
> suggestion for the developers of /portupgrade?
>
> Thanks

Hi,

I think what you're looking for is /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf .

Here is an excerpt from that file:

  # HOLD_PKGS: array
  #
  # This is a list of ports you don't want portupgrade(1) to upgrade,
  # portversion(1) to suggest upgrading, or pkgdb(1) to fix.

Its a very handy tool since you can also set make variables which
portupgrade will also honor.

Best regards,

Randy