Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:33:26 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: png-port-upgrade gave med defunct kde

> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:02:34 +0100
> From: Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> > > Upgraded png from 1.0.12 to 1.2.0 That was a catastrophy for kde! No more
> > > icons at all! Anyone else seen this? Fix? kde is 2.2.1
>
> I just killed my 4-Stable machine by portupgrad-ing it : the result was
> a total mess (anyway, a full reinstall was needed)
>
> this was the same libpng problem as Gunnar

I hit the same problem. The cause, in my case, was a change in the
function of certain options on portupgrade. The -u flag will cause
older versions of shared libraries to be de-installed. I think that it
used to de-install old versions of the software. In any case, I did a
"portupgrade -Rru libpng" and lost the version 4 sharable. (I
recovered by getting the same sharable from another system.)

By default, portupgrade does not delete older versions of sharable
libraries.

Seems odd that it was libpng and only libpng that seems to have bitten
several people, though.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)