Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:53:43 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "Rob" <listone@deathbeforedecaf.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backups to CD-R - problems with filesystems

At 1424 +0930 7/7/02, Rob wrote:
>Thanks Doug. I tried V7 format with tar, and found it didn't always 'do
>the right thing' with directories. From memory:
>
>* create a directory /home/fred owned by user fred
>* archive /home in V7 format
>* extract /home on another system
>* tar restores the ownerships for /home/fred correctly
>* but also sets /home as owned by fred!
>
>This might not be the exact steps (it was a few days ago) but I was
>certainly surprised by the results. Since I'm backing up /home as well
>as other things, it's important to get the directories right.
>
>Why do you prefer to put archives on the backup rather than the actual
>files & directories?

I use the tar format because of the problems with the V7 format you
mentioned.  My machine that handles the backup only has a couple of
users.  The production machines have thousands and directory
permissions are extremely important.  By backing up in tar format,
tar is only run on the machine in question so the users are all
defined.  On a complete restore to a new disk you have to restore the
password files first and get the users working before  restoring the
bulk of the system.

The other advantage is on restore, tar will restore many files in
different directories easily with one command.  If you have separate
files on the backup machine, you have to move them one at a time.  A
lot of extra typing.  Its also easier to keep a few files on the
backup machine from getting trashed inadvertendly.  When there are
lots, its easier to be in the wrong place and delete files by
accident.
--
-- Doug