Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 10:08:16 -0500
From:      Peter Zhilkin <zhilkin@ibd.nrc.ca>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Alarm: How can I use the NT loader to boot FreeBSD?

Hi,

I have NT 4.0 on hard disk 0 and added freeBSD 4 on hard disk 1 (no
loader was
installed)

To have double boot I followed the answer to
    Q: How can I use the NT loader to boot FreeBSD?
located at
    http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/admin.html#AEN1818

namely

I copied /boot/boot0 to file c:\bootsect.bsd and included this file
in c:\boot.ini as
       C:\BOOTSECT.BSD="FreeBSD"

After reboot I got NT loader menu as expected, and chose to boot
freeBSD.
Then I got another menu with one option (of freeBSD loader I suppose),
and after that error message
stating something like 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) is not
found'. The was
no way out just reboot.

Rebooting lead to freeBSD loader menu as above and same error message.
As a result I've lost MBR on NT disk 0 and was unable to boot NT
anymore.
The MBR was replaced by some code of freeBSD.
Moreover, replacing MBR was done in such a way that partition table was
erased.
And first 63 sectors of cylinder 0 side 0 (usually containing 0x0 except
MBR)
were filled with some code (of freeBSD I suppose)
MBR was replaced by some freeBSD code, there is such word "freeBSD" in
it.

I just followed instruction published on your web site.
Look like executing code of /boot/boot0 during boot leads to things far
from expected
as a final result.

This is for your information.
If I did something wrong, I appreciate if you explain.

Regards,
Peter Zhilkin, trying to start using freeBSD