Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:29:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        Dave Page <davecpage@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NT dual booting....

Hi Dave,

If you don't want to reinstall everything, I would suggest the following:

Keep your BSD drive as the primary master as that is where the partition
table thinks it is and is happy to boot it.

NT doesn't care what disk it lives on. All it wants is a very small FAT
partition that physically resides on your first hard drive under the 1 Gb
limit. I always make a small FAT partition at the beginning of my first
hard drive for this purpose as I boot 4 OSs from my boot.ini.

If there is no FAT partition on your first hard drive and you have access
to a copy of Partition Magic, it is easy to slice off a 100 Mb or so.
Version 4.0 and above of Partition Magic recognizes and does not mangle
FreeBSD partitions.

If you don't have Partition Magic, there is FIPS (I believe it is in the
tools section of BSD on the CDROM or the FTP site) and also Partition
Resizer at  http://members.xoom.com/Zeleps/   I personally didn't think
fips was worth the bother and haven't tried partition resizer so YMMV.

If you keep the disks the way they are, make sure boot.ini, ntldr, and
ntdetect.com live in that small FAT partition on the first drive.  Modify
boot.ini as follows:

 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\etc

This assumes NT lives on your second IDE hard drive (rdisk of 1) and on
the first partition of that second drive (change the partition number
according to where NT is on the second drive). This should keep NT happy.

To boot BSD, (and I'm quoting the FAQ)  :

   Q: How can I use the NT loader to boot FreeBSD?

   A: This procedure is slightly different for 2.2.x and 3.x (with the
   3-stage boot) systems.

   The general idea is that you copy the first sector of your native root
   FreeBSD partition into a file in the DOS/NT partition. Assuming you
   name that file something like c:\bootsect.bsd (inspired by
   c:\bootsect.dos), you can then edit the c:\boot.ini file to come up
   with something like this:

           [boot loader]
           timeout=30
           [operating systems]
           multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows NT"
           C:\BOOTSECT.BSD="FreeBSD"
           C:\="DOS"

   For 2.2.x systems this procedure assumes that DOS, NT, FreeBSD, or
   whatever have been installed into their respective fdisk partitions on
   the same disk. In my case DOS & NT are in the first fdisk partition
   and FreeBSD is in the second. I also installed FreeBSD to boot from
   its native partition, not the disk MBR.

   Mount a DOS-formatted floppy (if you've converted to NTFS) or the FAT
   partition, under, say, /mnt.

           dd if=/dev/rda0a of=/mnt/bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1

   Reboot into DOS or NT. NTFS users copy the bootsect.bsd and/or the
   bootsect.lnx file from the floppy to C:\. Modify the attributes
   (permissions) on boot.ini with:

           attrib -s -r c:\boot.ini

   Edit to add the appropriate entries from the example boot.ini above,
   and restore the attributes:

           attrib +s +r c:\boot.ini

   If FreeBSD is booting from the MBR, restore it with the DOS ``fdisk''
   command after you reconfigure them to boot from their native
   partitions.

   For FreeBSD 3.x systems the procedure is somewhat simpler.

   If FreeBSD is installed on the same disk as the NT boot partition copy
   /boot/boot1 to c:\bootsect.bsd or if FreeBSD is installed on a
   different disk copy /boot/boot0 to c:\bootsect.bsd. Then edit
   c:\bootsect.ini as described earlier.

Good luck and enjoy a multi-boot system.

Dru