Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2014 16:54:47 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Charlie <cwr@SDF.ORG>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pf causing boot delay

Hi all,

I'm having an interesting issue with pf on my laptop machine. After
enabling pf by adding pf_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and using the
simplest ruleset possible in /etc/pf.conf, my machine takes an added 60 or
more seconds to boot up.

I'm running 10.0-RELEASE-p7 on a Lenovo X201 ThinkPad. I'm using the SLiM
login manager. The system boots as normal, printing dmesg output to the
screen as it boots. Then it appears as though X is about to launch;
however, it just hangs for 60 or more seconds at a blank screen. Then,
finally, my SLiM login window appears and the system operates as normal.

Any ideas why enabling pf would delay the display of my login screen so
much?

Thanks for your help,

Charlie

cwr@sdf.org