Date:      27 Sep 1998 00:39:55 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New install / Unrecognized fdisk terms

Attempting to install 3.0-19980923-BETA

Clearly this is not the right list for these level of questions.
Just a little lost as to where to address them.  A pointer would be
appreciated.

Having a little experience with dos and a fair bit more with linux
(Redhat) I expected to be able to find my way through an
install. After reading the INSTALL.txt  TROUBLE.txt and few others.

None of them prepared me for the naming conventions used in the fdisk
part of the install.

I'm starting with this setup:
Using linux naming convention for lack of knowing any other.

Two HDDs One devoted to win/dos (not shown) one devoted to Redhat
Linux, but with a 1000MB space (Linux partitioned and with data on it
but expendable)

That disk is broken up like so:

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1            1        1      767  3092512+   5  Extended
/dev/hdb5            1        1        9    36225   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb6           10       10      467  1846624+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdb7          468      468      476    36256+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb8          477      477      680   822496+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdb9          681      681      767   350752+  83  Linux native

/dev/hdb1 is an extende partition encompassing the whole Disk.The
partitions at /dev/hdb 8 9 (total about 1200MB) are available for BSD
install.

I was not able to tell where they were in the Fdisk printouts that
come up during install.  BSD fdisk shows a couple of sizeable `unused'
spaces.  Their are none.  Can some of you point me to documentation
that will clarify the terminology differences?

At this point I wasn't sure what might get overwritten.  Was not able
to translate any of BSD fdisk into anything I could understand.

Once this hurdle is crossed.  I'm wondering about the boot-loader.  If
I just pass on that part.  Can I set my linux loader (LILO) to boot
BSD?  Will the BSD boot-loader overwrite LILOs instructions in the MBR
of disk one?

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1