Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:37:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What doyou use your box for? (was: what tipped the scale]

>Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 00:43:30
>From: gekk0 <gekk0@usa.net>

>What do you consider "real work"?

It depends on why you obtained a (set of) computer(s) in the first place.

>I'm just curious as to what other people use thier machines for.

At home?  Mail; some news-reading.  House-remodeling plans (with xfig).
Writing letters (groff, with some custom macros that I wrote).  Web
browsing.  Eventually, I hope to get HylaFAX running.  Oh, yeah -- a bit
of scanning, now that we bought a scanner.

Main reason for buying the home machine(s), though, was for my
professional education -- bought my first machine back when I was still
in the IBM mainframe world, and there's no way the companies I worked
for would be encouraging much use of my time to learn UNIX (though one
of them did want to make use of that knowledge later...), and there's no
way I could afford to try to take a job in a UNIX environment, since I
had no experience in said environment.

So I also bring over freely-redistributable software & build it.  I try
to provide feedback to authors, though that's getting progressively
harder (because of a lack of time on my part).  I cobble up Perl
scripts....  :-}  Hardly write any more C....

And part of the email stuff is professional contacts; that's fairly
critical.

Here (at work), it depends on which machine -- some are desktops;
there's a machine dedicated to maintaining the Whistle copy of the CVS
repository (some of the folks who contribute to FreeBSD are some of the
engineers I support).  There's a dedicated news server; a dedicated NIS
server....  But the whole assembly is for doing software development,
primarily (which helps explain why there's a dedicated machine for doing
"builds").

>I'd love to have a sparc at home, but I'll have to be happing running Solaris 2.6, HP-UX 10.20, some version of AIX at work, and FreeBSD at home.
>hrm...now if I can just get them to port our app to fbsd, all will be cool  :)

:-)  I still find it interesting that I'm using Solaris & SunOS at home,
and FreeBSD (with a tiny bit of Solaris) at work....

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621