Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:23:41 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        X Philius <xphilius@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Verifying that a security patch has done it's thing...

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 08:15:14AM -0700, X Philius wrote:
> 1. How do I verify that the patch did what it was supposed to do? My
> understanding is that this will not update the version flag of OpenSSH,
> and so other than making sure that the patch and install etc run
> without error, how do I make sure everything is cool?

There is nothing special to do to verify that the patch was installed.
Either you applied the patch, recompiled, and reinstalled, or you
didn't.

> 2. The security notice did not really say what I needed to do to make
> sure that the new version of sshd was loaded in to memory after the
> install.

Yes, that was an oversight that we hope to avoid in the future.

> On my dev machine I just rebooted (the brute force method!)
> I'd rather not do the same on my prod machine. Can I run a "kill -1" on
> the process while logged in via SSH? My instincts tell me that would
> log me out.

You can terminate the master SSH process without affecting your
currently active SSH sessions.  The PID of the master process is
probably in /var/run/sshd.pid.  You might also use `sockstat' to
determine which process is listening --- look for the wildcard address
`*:*' in the rightmost column.

> Do I need to be local on the machine  and run a "kill -1",
> or do I have to actually stop sshd entirely and then restart it to load
> the new binary? Truth to tell, I can reboot my prod machine as well,
> but I am practicing for a day when my server is co-lo'ed elsewhere and
> not available for local log ins!

OpenSSH sshd responds to the HUP signal by exec'ing itself, so this
should be sufficient.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                 http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos