Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:26:59 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd@swaggi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD shutting down unexpectedly

> I'm having a problem with my FreeBSD server shutting down for no
reason. This started happening recently (within the last month) so
I'm not sure if the hardware is dying or if there's another underlying
problem. The server is a rackmountable 1U chassis at a remote
location connected to an APC UPS. When I lose connectivity and go
to physically inspect the server, it's powered off completely as
if there was a power outage. However, each time I can confirm that
the UPS did not lose power and there were no voltage spikes (the
APC can be managed via telnet and SNMP so there are logs I can look
at). So far the only way I've been able to reproduce the problem
is by running "portsdb -Uu" to update the ports DB after a cvsup
of the ports tree. I suppose this is a CPU/disk intensive task so
maybe I have a dying hard drive? Running this command used to take
about 10 minutes for me, now when I run it about 5 minutes later
the box powers off mysteriously. There's nothing in /var/log/messa

Please prune your line length !

APC can also be controlled & logged by NUT
/usr/ports/sysutils/nut

>  ges and after I bring it back up, dmesg does not show anything unusual. I setup a console server to monitor this server's console but there was absolutely nothing on the console during the last such "crash".
> I'm looking for some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem, perhaps I can enable crash dump files or some sort of debugging? Here's some output:

Maybe your CPU or chassis fan is sticky/ slow/ dead.

You can check your running temps withn other things in /usr/ports/sysutils/

> Any suggestions would be welcome.

Good luck.

--
Julian Stacey.  Consultant Unix Net & Sys. Eng., Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, HTML=spam.     Ihr Rauch = meine allergischen Kopfschmerzen.