Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 14:17:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Rob Miracle <rwm@MPGN.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5?

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Rob Miracle wrote:

> >  Better than that, I've been hand patching 2.2-stable for some time now
> >to support longer usernames
>
> >> Doug (who would really like to see this done :)
>
> What about something really useful, like 4 byte UIDs?

  Really useful?  Like who has over 65,000 users in /etc/passwd anyhow?

  Besides, once you get over 65K users, long usernames will be even more
important because the namespace will rather congested.  I have 13007
users on one server, and namespace problems are already quite severe with
8 character usernames.

> Rob

Tom