Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 12:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bakul@netcom.com (Bakul Shah)
Cc:        nate@trout.sri.mt.net, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TeX support in bsd.doc.mk?

> > > Ahh, gotcha.  Do you want to go all the way to PS files, or just to .dvi
> > > files?  Generally xdvi is installed, and there are lots of dvi->misc
> > > converters which do a better job than the dvi->PS->misc conversion.
> >
> > The resulting file type should depend on what ${PRINTER} is set to,
> > see 4.4 Lite bsd.doc.mk.
>
> IMHO .dvi being printer and resolution independent makes a
> better target because

Then for your site in /etc/make.conf you set PRINTER=dvi, simple enough??

My point was that the .mk file should not be written to assume any
prefered output format.  Output should be selectable at build time
via ${PRINTER}.  There should be a reasonalbe default value for this,
but it must be overrideable via /etc/make.conf.