Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:57:59 -0400
From:      "Philip R. Moyer" <prm@complexsys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1.1 doesn't see whole disk at install

I've got two drives in my system (currently running RedHat 7.0).  The
first is an 8 Gig Maxtor, which is the IDE master.  The second is
a WD 30 Gig EIDE drive, which is the slave.  Under Linux, you set the
BIOS to configure the master, so the system can boot, and then it
ignores the BIOS settings when it uses the second drive.

I downloaded the 4.1.1-Release CD image, burned a CD, and booted it
up.  The install process starts, and when I partition disks, the first,
ad0, comes up just fine; I tell it to use the whole disk and install
the boot manager in the MBR.  The second disk, though, appears to be
2 Gig, with CHS 4363/16/63.  I reset the drive geometry in fdisk with
the G command, and enter 59598/16/63 (the settings from the Linux
installation).  Fdisk still won't let me create a big slice on the
disk.

How should I configure this disk so I can use all the space?  I checked
back through the archives, and almost every message I find says,
"yep, FreeBSD supports big disks.  Have fun."  Well, something like
that.  :-)  Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil