Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 13:35:28 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [johnathan.f.meehan@bankerstrust.com: FreeBSD Configuration]

----- Forwarded message from johnathan.f.meehan@bankerstrust.com -----
From: johnathan.f.meehan@bankerstrust.com
To: www@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:08:50 +0100
Subject: FreeBSD Configuration

Hi,

I currently run FreeBSD 3.1 at home, and recently recommended it to a few
friends at work as my preference for a non-commercial flavour of UNIX. This
opened up an avenue for development that I would like to volunteer to make
happen - configuration tools. Being Windows people, they found FreeBSD
intimidating - configuring a sound card, adding a new device, or setting up
userPPP were things they were used to having done for them. These people
now run Linux, as they fell into the "UNIX is too difficult for me" trap,
and liked the comfort of easy configuration. Your documentation is great,
but some people need to be started more slowly. Even after following your
documentation, a user may not think of creating a symlink /dev/modem to
their device node (which is needed, for example, by Minicom).

I like the idea of easy configuration as an /option/ to those who would
like it - particularly newcomers to UNIX. With this in mind, I searched my
install set for such utilities but couldn't find them, nor see them on the
wanted projects list. Would you be interested in such tools being developed
for FreeBSD, and could I organise such a development team? I don't want to
duplicate somebody else's work, so please point me in the right direction
if such work has been undertaken.

Your comments on this subject wold be appreciated, but please reply to <
jmeehan@easynet.co.uk >, as the return address for this mail is my
workplace.

Regards,

Johnathan Meehan