Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:15:46 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, tlambert@primenet.com, grog@lemis.com, Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk, desar@club-internet.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNIX license issues (was: Searching an "old" BSD stdio)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Also unfortunately, I don't have media, and I think media costs on
> > > SVR3 still exceed $100.  8-(.
> >
> > I've probably still got Johnnie's set in a box downstairs.  It took
> > a LOT of 1.2MB 5.25" floppies to store the entire SVR3 source code,
> >you know?
>
> It's OK, you're in the clear; they're dead by now.
>

> > Now VAX/VMS source was really hard to get your hands on, but we had
> > that, too.  Or, you could just get it the way Kevin Mitnick did -
> > steal it from Rob Clyde.  ;^)
>
> The VMS source license was on microfiche, more's the pity.  It's still
> in "The VAX Cave".  You could get the source on mag tape, and you could
> get a Bliss compiler ("Bliss is Ingnorance"), but they were too expensive.
> I seem to remember it being a choice between Icarus and machine readable
> VMS sources.

That was *very* long time ago. About 3 years ago, when I was with my
previous employer, we got the OpenVMS/Alpha sources, on CD, for about
$2000 (and DEC's Bliss compiler is now in the public domain). Still, you
don't get the code for the LMF (license management facility) and other
stuff DEC doesn't want you to know about, and it's only listings, so you
have to work hard to get source that compiles from it. On the other hand,
it was fun (and sometimes even useful) reading.

> Heh.  We probably ought to take "old fart days" off the list, or at
> least move it to chat (I've set the "Reply-To:").
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> Any opinions in this posting are myown and not those of my present
> or previous employers.

Nadav