Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 11:32:49 -0400
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@netunlimited.net>
To:        THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr
Cc:        questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Rép : newbie PPP question

1) OK, that makes sense. I went through the chapter on DNS and it seems that what I
want in resolv.conf is:

malachi                127.0.0.1        #my machine
ns.netunlimited.net    208.128.132.1    #my ISP's nameserver #1
ns2.netunlimited.net   208.128.132.2    #my ISP's nameserver #2

Yes? No? Leave off the domain suffix? Anything else? Does the system ever write to
this file?

2) Yes, I can elaborate. As I said, I run ppp and log in with userid and password
(manually, I'm still working on the script...later). My ppp prompt changes from
'ppp' to 'PPP'. Now I can't issue anything but ppp commands here, so I alt-f2 to
another console and invoke lynx. Lynx seems to hunt for the lynx home URL (I don't
recall it exactly) and I get an error msg 'lynx.?????.edu not found' and it exits.
In XWindows I open an xterm and run ppp from there, going through the same process
as on the console. I open netscape and get an error window with 'home.netscape.com
not found'. If I enter a URL and hit 'go' I get nothing. Running lynx in an xterm
gives the same result as the console. I can ping from an xterm. I know I'm missing
something really stoopid here, but I'm clueless. I do appreciate all your help.

Also, another dumb question. Should I be able to ping names as well as numeric? I
can't. Does this relate to 1) above?