Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:00:19 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Michelle Weeks <tristan11@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Ryan Grove <ryan@wonko.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: / slice full

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 04:40:33PM -0700, Michelle Weeks wrote:

> On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 04:28 PM, Ryan Grove wrote:
>
> > Michelle Weeks wrote:
> >> i am getting an error message from our freebsd 4.5 server that the
> >> kernel folder is too full. when i do a df of the file systems it shows
> >> the / slice to be at 108% capacity; however when i do a long list of
> >> the directories under root, it doesn't appear that root should be
> >> full. i'm very new to freebsd and can't figure out what could be
> >> causing this. i have recently set up raid1 on using vinum on 2
> >> additional scsi drives. not sure if this would have anything to do
> >> with it.
> >
> > If you've been spending a lot of time logged on as root, you may have
> > accrued lots of unnecessary stuff in the /root directory.
>
> not too much time as root, although i have recently configured vinum for
> raid1 on 2 additional scsi drives.  i'm wondering if this has anything
> to do with the problem.  i also can't umount the vinum volumes because
> the system says they are busy.
>

> > Also, how big is your root slice? It could just be that the size was
> > set too small to begin with.
>
> the root slice is 128mb.

Which should be big enough for anyone...

Try this command as root:

du -k -x -d1 /

It should give you a list of all the top-level directories under / and how
much stuff is in them, measured in kilobytes.  The -x tells it not to
traverse mountpoints, since we only care what's on the root partition.
Then you'll at least know where all the space has gone.  My machine (a
fairly standard 4.6-STABLE setup, also with 128MB root) gives me:

tuatara# du -k -x -d1 /
68      /dev
3       /local
1       /tmp
1       /usr
1       /var
2865    /stand
1159    /etc
1       /cdrom
1       /proc
1       /dist
4061    /bin
875     /boot
1       /mnt
21746   /modules
383     /root
12161   /sbin
1       /host
1       /net
21736   /modules.old
76839   /

I doubt that vinum has anything to do with your problem -- more likely
you've got /var/ or /tmp on your root partition, rather than mounted as
separate partitions, and one of these has accumulated a lot of log files
and/or temporary junk.

Your vinum volumes are probably busy because some process(es) still have
file(s) open on them -- maybe just a shell window whose current directory
is somewhere under the raid mountpoint.  As I said, I doubt that's the
problem though.

HTH,

	Scott