Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2004 04:40:55 +0200
From:      Tuure Laurinolli <tuure@laurinolli.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise SATA150 TX2Plus stalls computer

Sebastian Holmqvist wrote:

 >> I have a system disc (PATA) into the motherboard and two SATA discs in
 >> the controller card.

Are the SATA disks in some sort of RAID?

 >> When I transfer large amounts of data, the system freezes up and when
 >> you restart, the SATA discs are corrupt.

Are there any error messages in the console?

I'm having similar problems with RAID1 array of 200GB Seagate PATA disks
on a HPT370 RAID controller. When accessing sector 268435455, they cause
DMA timeouts, and break the array. Since both drives have errors, the
whole array is broken, and the kernel panics (because it's the only

You could try to dd if=/dev/serialata_drive of=/tmp/foo skip=268435450
count=10 to see if you have the same problem, or something completely
different.

Tuure Laurinolli