Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 15:38:49 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: USB vs. parallel port

> A co-worker is looking into buying a printer, and was wondering which
> kind would be better, USB and/or parallel.  (There are also some that do
> both).
>
> Parallel printers tend to load down the system when busy, but serial
> devices tend to load them down even more, although USB is a whole
> different animal.
>
> What are the trade-offs?

USB is superior in just about every regard; a 'real' USB printer (as
opposed to a non-USB printer and a USB-to-parallel cable) will be much
faster, won't load the system down, and can do proper status reporting.

The only downside in the BSD context is that our current USB stack is
still pretty new, and has a few rough corners.  I've been using a USB
cable and a parallel printer now for more than 6 months with no real
problems, however.