Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 02:28:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        William Woods <bwoods2@uswest.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web mail client

I have not seen many open-sourced ones on the level of hotmail, but there
is no reason for that.  The POP3 module for perl is quite powerful, and
with the MIME modules a powerful webmail can be created.

I will be building a fully functional webmail interface to a pop3 server
this year for my own needs.  If you would like to help in the effort, I
would be happy to make it a public project.

What I have used so far is...

http://www.Freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/12/15/945300339.html

It does the basics, but need to learn to parse and display attachments.  A
method to allow users to have folders to sort their mail is also a
necessary function which is not supported via POP3.  You would need to
create spool files for each folder, which means you have to get into the
guts of it.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?