Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:47:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        The Quest <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Make installworld on a different root

Report. 1 Month later. :))

It's seems to have been going pretty well. I have some stuff in
/stand/sysinstall that do not install correctly, though. For one, the
installation of 'sysinstall' itself is not going correctly at all. By
default, there isn't even a /stand/ dir in
/etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist. That's one. Second, when you do a "make all
install" (in /usr/src/release/sysinstall) like advised in the recent
handbook the binary installs as /stand instead as /stand/sysinstall
since there's no /stand/ dir!

I also made an interesting experiment. In fact, from the start, I
wanted to install on a second drive as a backup to re-arrange my
partitions and do a make world at the same time (pretty stupid idea,
actually). By the time I find a viable way to do this, I discover the
marvelous dump backup/restore utility, and I do the thing this
way. Believe me, it is _much_ simpler: a boot floppy (well, now
there's 3 of 'em..) a dump, and you're ready to go!

But I was still worried. I wanted to have some kind of a 'clean'
install. The dump simply got me to the point I was before, but with
good partitions. So I effectively made:

cd /usr/src && make buildworld && make DESTDIR=/mnt installworld

to have a clean install on /mnt (my new drive) so that I could
compare. Again, by that time, I discovered the marvelous mtree
utility. :) So I made a mtree on /mnt and on my / to compare. I found
out that mtree was lacking some basic functions such as the
possibility to specify on which files you want to create a
specification. Anyways..

So I found myself with 2 enourmous mtree outputs, that I had to
'diff'. That was the result:

47870 spidey       2   0 97908K  8340K select   3:05  8.35%  8.35% xemacs-21.1-

and later:

47870 spidey       2   0   131M 10180K select   5:25  3.47%  3.47% xemacs-21.1-

That's _so_ fun. :) I went diff'ing (ediff'ing, in fact) and found out
that my current tree had 49Mb of stray files. This is the stuff that
didn't get installed on the new system, but that was on my original
system (we're not talking about the /usr/local/ or even /usr/X11R6
trees, here!). In there was some ports that were misinstalled (well, I
guess it was... does anyone know what AlerT and binaries as such
are??), perl 5.00502 (with the new 5.00503!!!) and some compat
thingies (aout libs, etc.), residues of the sendmail suite I did not
installed, etc. This box is a 3.3-Stable that went stable after a
3.0-RELEASE CD install.

If you want the mtree output of the files that I removed, I could
publish it somewhere, I guess. But I won't publish the mtree output of
my tree, as it is something like 80Mb...

One thing I removed, as I said, are the /usr/lib/compat libraries, as
they did not install on the installworld. But then, netscape stopped
working. So I put them back. But how do I build these again? Is this
the COMPAT22 option in the /etc/make.conf? It should be announced more
clearly that this is needed, if it is.

you would be surprised of how much useless stuff gets into your tree
if you don't take care of it...

I wouldn't want to be forced to clean my /usr/local/ or /usr/X11R6!
:))

So, that said, I can only say BRAVO! to the FBSD team, as I have a
great box here working night and day as hell, with no real bad
surprises..

Happy FBSD'ing

The AnarCat.

--- Big Brother told Doug to write, at 14:30 of October 16:

--
Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,

Lofofora