Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:46:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Supporting pkg-plist.gz ?

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to modify the ports system to support a gzipped
> pkg-plist file, and perhaps others too? I'm working on a port for the JDK 1.2
> documentation, and the pkg-plist file is 300 K !!! Even if ppl would not
> install this port, the 300 K would still be used.
>
> We could decrease the space needed for the ports collection dramatically,
> without sacrificing any i-nodes.

Hi, Ernst.  By doing some extra work, you can generate the packing list in
a pre-install target.  Many of the ports I maintain (see
http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/portsurvey/trevor@freebsd.org.html )
work this way.  The www/linux-netscape6 port is a good example of one
where space was saved:  the pkg-plist was 101446 bytes, and I've replaced
it with 12 lines in the makefile.
--
Trevor Johnson