Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 95 12:47:47 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        phk@freefall.cdrom.com, mark@grondar.za, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

> > Yes.  It was offered on the basis that it be used to form a BSD Consortium.
>
> Well, since you are the one who always pushes the BSD Consortium, can
> you tell me how the formation of it is going :-) :-) :-0

BSDI seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
the future of BSD because their strong historical ties to CSRG have
resulted in them being the sole recognized authorities.  They also
have almost total control of the BSD commercial software effort
and therefore can dictate the ABI.

NetBSD seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
the future of BSD because their porting efforts have resulted in
them being uniquely suited to taking all the architectural issues
into account in their source base.  Their ABI compatability efforts
have given them access to the commercial software on each ported
platform, at least to a limited extent, and they feel they will
displace the commercial OS's.

FreeBSD seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
the future of BSD because of their technological enhancements in the
area of installation, VM, and commodity hardware coverage have
resulted in them being more palletable to a larger user base.  They
point to the number of messages in the FreeBSD news groups being
larger than the twice number of messages in the NetBSD and BSD
groups combined as evidence of their success.

Linux seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
the use of Linux instead by subverting public BSD channels into Linux
advocacy groups.  You will be assimilated.  They have a magazine.  8-|.

Other than that, everyone agrees it's a good idea, but no one wants
to make it their part time job, even though it could be a paid job,
given that non-profit corporations still have paid employees.

Sort of the same as is true for a "BSD Journal" (though given the
Linux success in this area, that could go full-time easily).

As for me: ideas aren't a problem; time to implement them all *is* a
problem.  I can think of many, many ways someone can make their
own job.  On the effort vs. return scale, I'm doing close to the
maximum edge on the curve, and don't have much time for following
much else.  I make intentional exceptions for things I think will
advance the state of the art in various areas, but that's more as
long term investments in the future than anything else (and the only
things most of you see are computer science related).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.