Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:00:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/23064: Alphas do not boot if `a' (/) partition isn't at	a lower offset than `b' (swap)

The following reply was made to PR alpha/23064; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To: "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>,
	"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc: "'freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org>,
	"'wilko@FreeBSD.org'" <wilko@freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:00:07 +0100

 Hi Jordan,

 Sysinstall being essentially your baby (don't try to deny it ;-), do you
 think things like the issue reported below should be in sysinstall?

 I'm not particularly in favor of it to be honest, but I'd appreciate your
 view. There are so many things that one could do wrong during install, this
 example is just one of them. Example: nothing stops you from creating much
 too small filesystems.

 People Just Should Read Docs, before loading the ammo and then shooting
 themselves in the foot.

 tnx

 Wilko

 On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:56:56AM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:

 > Dear Wilko,
 >
 > While I appreciate your janitorial :) efforts, I would like to ask you to
 > reopen this PR.
 >
 > The reason for me to open the PR was that it may scare off the
 > Alpha-newbies.
 >
 > Since this is an Alpha-specific problem, perhaps /stand/sysinstall should
 > have a warning if someone on an Alpha wants to shoot himself in the foot.
 > (Just a warning, because if people need their foot shot off they should be
 > able to do it). Something along the lines of: "Gee, looks like you're going
 > to create a non-booting disk layout, are you sure you want to do that?" (I'm
 > sure you can download an appropriate ASCII-art paperclip from microsoft.com)
 >
 > This is a similar case as the >1024 cylinder install, which was a PC BIOS
 > issue. I believe /stand/sysinstall had a warning in place for that issue.
 >
 >     Kees Jan

 >  You are only young once,
 >        but you can stay immature all your life.
 ---end of quoted text---