Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 07:35:39 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Expect 5.22 on FreeBSD. Problems with disconnecting

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to ask for help with a small Expect problem.

I have a logging application that would with Expect 5.19/tcl 7.2 and
FreeBSD 2.1.0, happily disconnect from the controlling tty and log call
complete/call clear messages from an X25 switch to a file.

The application forks to create the monitoring child and then the parent
exits.

Unfortunately when the parent exits so does the child.

The program was working after fetching & making Expect 5.19 and tcl 7.2.
With newer FreeBSDs I have used the packages and it hasn't worked. The host
has always had FreeBSD upgraded rather than
re-installed

I will be very grateful for any suggestions,

Yours sincerely.