Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2017 08:23:25 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Valentin VERGEZ <valentin.vergez@stormshield.eu>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [PHY] Adaptive equipment

hiya,

there's no DFS mode publicly available for ath. Everything but the
radar detector is in freebsd-head.

Oh, if it's talking about adaptive being "transmit rate" then yes, you
can configure a static transmit rate (ifconfig wlanX ucastrate Y).

Listen before talk is normal atheros CCA. it's done by the chip,
programmed by the HAL and can be driver controlled if you know what
code to add. By default it's set to the -62dBm level that you need for
CCA.

Thanks!

-adrian

On 19 April 2017 at 06:56, Valentin VERGEZ
<valentin.vergez@stormshield.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you guys know if the "Adaptive" aspect on a FreeBSD wifi product is ma=
nageable ?
> For an ETSI compliance certification, on a FreeBSD wifi Access Point with=
 Atheros AR9380 NIC, the certifying authority needs to know if the equipmen=
t is adaptive or non-adaptive. And if it's an adaptive equipment, if it has=
 the possibility to switch to a non-adaptive mode.

> Regarding ETSI EN 300 328 V1.9.1 section 4.2.2, Adaptive could correspond=
 to DFS ... which, on hostap mode, is not fully implemented ?

> I thought that adaptive was for auto-selecting modulation depending on Si=
gnal/Noise ratio. But now, i'm confused.

> However, it is my understanding that these aspects are operated by the Qu=
alcomm HAL and therefore not manageable. I seek confirmation on this point.

> While I am on the subject, I wonder if the "Listen Before Talk" is Frame =
Based or Load Based. And again, is it operated by the HAL or an upper layer=
 ?