Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2012 02:10:14 GMT
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/165706: print/ghostscript9 forces dependency of dns/libidn which is really optional

The following reply was made to PR ports/165706; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To: pg@2lazy.ru
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: misc/165706: print/ghostscript9 forces dependency of
 dns/libidn which is really optional
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:06:00 +0900 (JST)

 ----Security_Multipart(Wed_Mar__7_11_06_00_2012_533)--

 Pavel Gubin <pg@2lazy.ru> wrote
   in <4F55A82C.6050706@2lazy.ru>:

 pg> Hiroki Sato wrote:
 pg> > pg> > may be configured --without-libidn, so this dep may be pg>
 pg> > made pg> > tunable. pg> > pg> > Why? pg> pg> Because it is
 pg> > optional, am I Wrong? pg> My system works well without libidn, and
 pg> > gs until ghostscript9-9.05_2 pg> (or _1) also works, and I verified
 pg> > this patch. Also I set default for pg> libidn to "on", so this
 pg> > should not break anything, but will allow to pg> disable
 pg> > unnecessary dependence if one doesn'n need it.
 pg> >
 pg> > You just do not use the PDF password feature newly added.  I do
 pg> > not think it is unnecessary or should be optional unless it breaks
 pg> > other features.
 pg> Yes, and I've never used any password-protected PDFs, and see no
 pg> reason why this feature cannot be made optional (ON by default) if one
 pg> really does not need it, if this knob will cost almost nothing.
 pg>
 pg> Anyway, this may be done by just checking WITH[OUT]_LIBIDN without
 pg> defining additional config knob, thus it will cost nothing but a some
 pg> bytes in Makefile.
 pg>
 pg> Again, I see no reason why make extra dependency mandatory if it is
 pg> optional.

  It is not optional because it is designed to use it.  Also I do not
  think adding libidn by default is a big problem for most of people
  because ghostscript9 already depends on 47 packages and libidn is
  small enough.  Adding a knob increases the maintenance cost---it is
  not small as you expect.  These are the reasons why I have no
  intention to add it at this moment unless it has a problem about the
  functionality or huge bloat of the dependency.

 -- Hiroki