Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 22:14:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vic 2.8

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Jim Lowe wrote:

> I put a compressed binary of vic 2.8 statically linked on our ftp site.
> Just grab:
> 	ftp://ftp.cs.uwm.edu/pub/FreeBSD/vic.2.8.gz
>
> It has the meteor, qcam, and spigot drivers in it.  I havn't been able
> to test the qcam stuff.  If you have a qcam and could test it, please
> let me know if it works.

Pulled this and are playing with it.

I didn't see the spigot in the device list.  I don't have a spigot but
thought I should note it.

Looks pretty good from the receiving standpoint.  Stock 2.8 did too, so
I'm not surprised.  Nice to have 16 bit support.

Qcam works pretty good.  I have a loopback session going right now.
Primary gripe is that 4 bit mode appears broke. The whitebalance doesn't
appear to range properly, ie it turns bright white on both ends of the
scale except for a certain point near the "auto" button.  I don't know if
this is vic's problem or the qcam driver's.  I'm running 2.1.5-RELEASE
with qcam-driver v1.1 (I think).

6 bit works fine (but it sure does drag on the system every second or
so!).  Only problem I see here is that the screen blacks out every so
often for a frame.  Again, don't know if this is vic's or qcam0's fault.

For a performance benchmark, on small frame size & 6bits, I get about
3.9fps. On normal size, it drops to about 1.5fps.

PS:  Jim -- what hardware are you using on the parking lot cam?