Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 12:45:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Looking for...

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998 22:18:33 -0400 (EDT) Andrew Webster said:
>On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, John T. Farmer wrote:
	[snip]

>> Read the question again.  He's looking for a box that will physically
>> connect to an ISDN BRI line _and_ accept ISDN or analog calls (upto v.90)
>> as a host.  As a "modem box" the nearest equiv. is the 3com/USR MP-8/i
>> box.  Handles 4 BRIs, accepts ISDN or analog calls & presents them on
>> 8 async serial ports.  The nearest "ethernet" box that I know of would
>> be the Ascend Max1800 with a digital modem card in it.
>
>The only snag with these products are the huge pricetags attached to them!
>Looking at the small number of chips involved in the Portmaster-3, it
>can't be all that expensive to make a 2 port version.   This would fill an
>idea niche between dropping tonnes of cash on a PM-3 when you only need
>2 or 3 of these boxes attached to BRIs.

Well, the problem is that the chipsets _aren't_ where the expensive
part of the PM-3 or the MAX series is...

You start looking and it's quickly obvious, even at qty 1 pricing, that
there's probably less than $1K(usd) of componments in one of these boxes.
The _real_ cost is in the engineering, both hardware and software.  And
those cost's are going to be nearly the same for a 2 port server box and
the 48 port server box.

Of course, Ascend _could_ capitolize on soon of the work that has been
done on the Pipeline 50/75/85/130/220 series and the Max series to bring
out such a unit.  Pipe50 sized, 1 or 2 BRI's, ethernet port, 2 or 4
HLDC and modem DSP chipsets.  Call it a "Mini-Max."  The problem is
that such a box would have to be priced in the $1K(usd) price range
to sell.  Used Max1800's with Digital 56k modem cards are selling in the
$4k to $5k range...

Given Lucent's focus, I doubt that they would be interested in creating
such a product.

That's why I was asking if anyone has done any work with FreeBSD and
Computer Telephony applications.  Given the hardware tools (ISDN BRI
card, MVIP bus, DSP-based modems, comm channel processors, etc.)
that are available for the ISA & PCI buses, then the "Pico-BSD"
efforts would make an excellent and _flexible_ approach to this.  I
know it can be done, there is at least one WindowsNT based product
that I've read about.

John	<Who would raither design new toys than mail invoices today...>