Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:11:25 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm xhosts authorization confusing me

When I use X, I often will su to root in an xterm and then spawn
something like emacs.  This always used to work running "startx" to
access xwindows.  Now, using xdm, I get the following error

stuyman@cartman:/home/stuyman {1} su

Password:

cartman# emacs

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.

Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.

Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit

connections from your machine.

Looking at man xhost(1) it makes some reference under files to
"/etc/X*.hosts" but a) that's not the actual name of the file is it?
I've never seen a file with an asterisk in the name. b)what goes in this
file?  I can't find anything even resembling that filename in /etc other
than the Xfree config file.  I can "xhost +local" at an xterm prompt,
but I'd like to be able to have that done every time I'm in X.  I could
put it in .xsession but I'd like it to effect all users, not just one.
Should the line just be tossed into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession ?
Or is there a correct way to do this?
Sorry If I'm just looking in the wrong place.  Help!
--
Laurence Berland