Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:40:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Kenneth Legg <sce04020@mail.wvnet.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installing programs

Hi,

> I'm new to FreeBSD and KDE and would like to know how to install
> Netscape Communicator 4.5 form the CD-ROM ports collection. I
> installed Netscape 3.2 without any problems. I was told that I needed
> to install something called compat-2.2 before I could install
> Communicator. I have looked for compat-2.2 on the CD and on the web
> without luck. Where can I find compat-2.2 and the instructions to
> install it and Communicator?

Probably the easiest way to get it is to su to root, then run
/stand/sysinstall.  Choose custom install, then distributions, then choose
custom and you'll see a compat-2.2.  Choose it, then go back 2 menus and
choose "extract" and ta da.

The easiest way to install software on FreeBSD is to use the ports system.
If you haven't installed the ports tree (normally in /usr/ports) then you
can again use /stand/sysinstall do download it.  Go to the 1st menu,
choose configure and you can download ports directly off the CD or you can
get the packages (pre-compiled binaries).

You can also grab the ports tarball (includes the entire tree, but NOT all
of the actual software) from:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/ports/ports.tgz

I recommend you read the Handbook on installing software
(/usr/share/doc/handbook) or

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *