Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2001 11:31:31 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        SXren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c atapi-cd.h

On 05-Jan-01 Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Ahh OK, makes sense, but as you say, why didn't they do that to begin with?
> > :)
>  Probably because they hadn't come up with the idea yet?  But as Soren
>  explained, the time required to turn off/on the beam would create large
>  gaps in the cdrom and they did not use it until recently.

Yes but it is interesting that turning a laser on or off takes so long, surely
you would have extremely find control over the laser anyway to draw the pits
accuratly.

Perhaps its an advancement in positioning instead, so the drive knows exactly
where it was forced to stop and is able to position the head in that place
again.

>  Another reason I could think for not using this is that if you have an
>  image that barely fits an empty disk, leaving gaps might result in the
>  image being partially written on the resulting cdrom disk :/

Yes, but is that better or worse than losing the CD blank altogether?

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum