Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:37:22 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> I think writing portable C code as a general practice is an entirely
> tangental subject and one probably worthy of an entire series of
> encyclopedic volumes on the topic.  To focus on this one *specific*
> issue in -arch, however, I think the debate needs to confine itself
> for the moment to one point and one point only: Is the set of C
> compilers which FreeBSD, or any directly-derived variant thereof, is
> likely to encounter in real life going to include one which does not
> grok the more modern, non-GCC specific language constructs (reminder:
> function prototypes) which were oh-so-long-ago approved by the ANSI
> committee?

You mean like when I compile "grep" and other command line tools
on my Amiga using Manx Aztec C, a K&R compiler?

Or when I use Watcom to take some FreeBSD code for a POS system
to do the same thing for DR-DOS, because GCC won't run there
because it can't be compiled to use overlays?

Really, if someone can't understand __P(), they should probably
not be in the kernel, with all those "dangerous" linker sets
and other less obvious code than __P()...

> If the answer is "no", and I think it quite reasonably might be, then
> we can move forward with at least one assumption and that's that __P()
> can die in FreeBSD as something which merely obfuscates and renders
> our code more unpleasant to the eye.

I think that portability of code between FreeBSD and OpenBSD
and NetBSD is a concern, and I think increasing the diffs
gratuitously between these systems is a Bad Idea(tm).

Also, as has already been raised, there is an issue of doing
back-ports of the code to FreeBSD X.Y, where X.Y is and of
the versions prior to the cosmetic make-over.

When NetBSD or OpenBSD gets new code (e.g. the SYN cache code
or the ipfilter license-inspired replacement), it would be
nice if porting the code would not require a human going
through and deciding which differences are there because they
need to be there, and which ones are there because of
gratuitous cosmetic changes.

> If you want my vote, and you get it whether that's the case or not, I
> say we nuke __P() from orbit until it and the unlucky disk platters it
> formerly rested on are reduced to a molten, bubbly, radioactive slag
> with the merest hint of ferrous particles still coating the surface.

Can you get BSDI, NetBSD, and OpenBSD to go along with this?

-- Terry