Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:19:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        e.costa@lancaster.ac.uk, helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnat 3.01 for FreeBSD

> >       I'd like to do a port of Gnat 3.01 and eventually to became a
> > mantainer of that compiler. I've just read the handbook section regarding
> > how to port a foreign package to FreeBSD, but as you already did a port
> > of Gnat, namely Gnat 2.01, and because it's my first attempt to do such a
>                           ^ 2.03
> > thing I'm asking you for some advice and perhaps help in doing it.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Last week the gnat port was updated to GNAT 3.09, so you're kind
> of late. But thanks anyway. (The same happened to me. Last week I
> was working on that port, but the current maintainer "beat" me.
> Strange: Nobody seemed to care about GNAT for a year, suddenly
> everybody is playing around with it.

<plug on>

That's because it is, by far, the best Ada95 compiler around.  Support
is also superb, even if you don't pay the $1300 per seat for ACT support.

<plug off>

Seriously, we are using it for deliverable Navy products, and it is much
better than Rational Apex Ada which we also have paid over $200K for
only 5 seats and 2 years of support.

For more info and debate, join the GNAT mailing list and/or see the
list archives (visit http://www.gnat.com).

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org