Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:39:11 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.7-REL-p3 and an IPsec connection to Linksys BEFVP41

I'd like to set up an IPsec connection between my laptop running
FreeBSD 4.7-REL-p3 and a Linksys BEFVP41 router w/ built in IPsec
capability.

I've found a number of sites w/ information on setting up ipsec
between a pair of FreeBSD machines, including:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ipsec.html
  http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipsec-tunnel.php
  http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/ipsec-howto.html
  http://www.bsdtoday.com/2002/April/Features671.html

But none that talk about getting FreeBSD's IPsec talking to anything
non-FreeBSD.

All of the methods are based on setting up a gif tunnel and passing
the packets over that.  I've tried a number of variations on the
recommended recipes, and at best I can watch the isakmp packet going
from the laptop towards the router and get see an icmp packet back
from the router that suggests the the gif tunnel isn't what it wants
to see (sadly, I didn't save the exact message, but can recreate it if
it's important enough).

So, the quick question is, has anyone set up a FreeBSD laptop as a
"road warrior" to an IPsec router?  I'd appreciate any pointers.

If not, I'll post more information about what I've tried and see if
y'all can help me crawl towards a solution.

THanks!

g.