Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 18:23:51 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crypto (Was: Re: Plan for integrating Secure RPC -- comments wanted)

> Somebody designed a "broken" version of DES that purely became a 1-way hash
> function (exportable, just like md5) that had no chance of being "converted"
> to encrypt/decypt data (which would make it export restricted).

Gnu's libcrypt has an export license. I don't se why we shouldn't.

> There is a difference between encrypting a known block of data to a result
> that can be decoded back to the original data, and irreversibly hashing a
> key (ie: password) in a way that comes up with the same results as the
> "encrypt a block of nulls" method.
>
> Anyway, the problem then becomes..  How do you choose the default encryption
> type for the new merged crypt() when it doesn't have a precedent to go on?

I have some ideas:

1) a config file (say): /etc/crypt.conf
   if a line in it says "method: DES" or "method: MD5", the appropriate
   format is chosen.

2) Environment variable (EUGH :-()

3) PHKMalloc method: make a symlink to a an appropriate name:
   /etc/crypt.method -> /etc/Do_MD5 (or -> /etc/Do_DES).

I like #1. It shouldn't take me long to do it.

> I know this doesn't have much to do with Secure RPC, but it would get rid of
> the dual versions of /sbin/init, /bin/ed, libcrypt etc.  I would like

Er, wait - init and ed use libcipher, which is two-way :-( :-( :-(

> libcrypt to go away and become a stub library just like
> libresolv/libgnumalloc.

Hear, hear!

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE