Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 95 10:55:41 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        vlado@ulcc.uni-plovdiv.bg (...)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HELP

> 	I have NetBSD 0.9, and  I want when CD of my DIAL-IN modem lowers
> system to kill all process which user has started. Please tell me how
> to do that.

This probably should have been sent to the NetBSD questions list
instead of the FreeBSD questions list.

Assuming the serail drivers aren't too different, you probably have
DCD forced true in your modem and you need to reconfigure it.

You also might have DCD forced true in the cable.

The other possiblity is that you do not have modem control turned
on on the device.  You will need to consult the NetBSD sio man page
on how to deal with this in NetBSD.

In a correctly operating setup, the DCD on the modem follows remote
carrier so that the modem will not assert DCD on the serial interface
unless carrier is present.

A modem-control device is used so that the system does not ignore the
DCD being asserted by the serial interface.

The default behaviour for a modem control device is to default with
-CLOCAL and HUPCL set on the device.  If you can log in, make sure
these are present (type 'stty -a') after dialing in and logging in).

When DCD drops, SIGHUP is sent to all members of the process group,
which causes them to exit.  The last close on the port drops DTR.
The modem must be set to reset when DTR drops from the computer.
Then the getty comes back up and trys an open, which asserts DTR
which allows the modem to answer the phone.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.