Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:49:33 +0000
From:      Warren Doney <wardon@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.0.1 and DRI

Tom Bartol wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get an ATI Rage Fury (32MB, AGP) working under the Direct
> Rendering Interface (DRI) in XFree86-4.0.1.  I'm running a
> FreeBSD-4.1-STABLE world and kernel as of yesterday Aug 8, 2000.  I built
> and installed XFree86-4.0.1 yesterday from the latest port and the DRI
> bits appear to all be there.  I've got /dev/agpgart and I've done a
> `kldload /modules/agp.ko` (kldstat shows that agp.ko is loaded).  I've
> modified my /etc/X11/XF86Config file to load glx and dri, and added at DRI
> section (all as specified in the XFree86 docs:
> http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/DRI.html).  X is running just fine but for
> some unknown reason without DRI enabled on the card (see the attached
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log file).  To check for DRI further, if I "setenv
> LIBGL_DEBUG" and fire up an OpenGL program (such as vtk) I get:
>
> libGL error: XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable returned false
>
> which simply confirms that GL is not finding a DRI capability.
> But why?  I've scoured the documentation and I've set things up correctly
> as far as I can tell...
>
> So, what am I missing here?  Can someone help me out with this?

	<quote from docs>
The kernel module for the Rage 128 is named r128.o and should be
installed in /lib/modules/KERNEL-VERSION/misc/. It
will be automatically loaded by the Xserver if needed.

The DRI 3D driver for the Rage 128 should be in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r128_dri.so. This will be automatically
loaded by libGL.so.
	</quote from docs>

"/lib/modules/KERNEL-VERSION/misc/"

This refers to a *Linux* kernel module, AFAIK FreeBSD can't run them
(would love to be wrong)....

When I was running 4.01 in Linux I had to load the kernel module
*before* I did a 'startx' to enable DRI (this was for a Voodooo3).

Unless you specifically need something from 4.01, I'd stick with 3.3.6,
as it has better support for 3D at the moment.

-WBD