Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:31:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiport FBSD Routing?

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Kris Kirby wrote:

> What I have: FreeBSD machines out the wazoo and two Pipeline P130s and a
>              possible few extra (private) links in.
>
> What I need: A solution to load-balance multiple pipes (perhaps running
>              two or three NATDs for the private links).
>
> I'm thinking of Zebra (BGP) and really wondering if this can be done on
> generic UN*X box.. The multiple pipes confuses me. For simplicity, assume
> the P130s are running in bridge mode; in other words, the PC will have an
> ethernet port apiece for the T1s and talk straight to the upstream router.
>
> The big questions: Can It Be Done? Has It Been Done? Can It Be Done
> Easily?

  You are probably better off replacing the Pipeline 130s with a Cisco
2501.  The Pipeline 130 is a rather crappy T1 router.  The Cisco 2501 will
do load balancing over two T1s quite easily, assuming they are from the
same provider.

  FreeBSD does not support multiple gateways per route (equal cost
multipath).  It can do multilink PPP, but you'd need to put T1 cards into
your FreeBSD box to do that.  Again, this assumes that both go to the same
provider.

  If each T1 goes to a different T1, well, that is kinda of a messed up
situation.  I see people trying to do this, and configure all their
servers with IPs from each provider.  It turns into a unreliable,
convulted mess.  Not a good thing if you want to achieve better
reliability.

  Unless, you can have a large enough network to obtain at least a /19 (32
class-Cs), you are probably better off sticking with a single provider.
Many providers offer reliability measures.  WorldCom offers a diverse T1
service which includes 2 T1s, each from a different POP.  You could
connect those both to a single Cisco 2501, or if you want more
reliability, each to separate 2501 and setup HSRP so either can take over
the gateway address of the other.

Tom