Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 12:31:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Story on AFS?

>  I have info that AFS was going to be available "soon."
>
>  Can anyone give me the current status - we're considering
> investigations into replacing HP's with FreeBSD to be
> AFS file servers.  - We have an AFS source license, so
> that's not an issue.
>
>  If anyone has done anything, or knows of anyone who has,
> please speak up now - we're *very* interested....

] From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
]
] >Note that the NetBSD port is only available as binary, and only then
] >if you have an AFS license already.
]
] Not quite accurate.
]
] _If_ you have a source license, _and_ your site has signed the separate
] Source Contrib license agreement, then you can look at the source to the
] NetBSD port.  I speak from personal experience. :-)

This has been discussed before.  You can use the NetBSD port binary
if you have an AFS license AND you modify the FreeBSD NFS cookie
mechanism to match NetBSD's (both are extremely bogus anyway) AND
you disable the "vmio" flag for all AFS access (since it doesn't
know about FreeBSD's merged buffer cache).

I'm pretty sure that non-vmio-based buffer I/O is broken in -current,
and has been singe 2.1.0.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---