Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2019 23:02:06 +0000
From:      Mark Raynsford <list+org.freebsd.java@io7m.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 11 update

--Sig_/zq9J976NOlKA792yjvP/vtc

On 2019-03-14T14:46:48 -0700
Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:

> * Talk to AdoptOpenJDK folk to get more details of what the need in terms
>   of machines/VMs.  What sort of resources do their machines have
>   (CPU/memory/disk)?  What sort of access does the CI/build infrastructure
>   need?  Is this a case of supplying machines/VMs or would it make more
>   sense to fund them in their existing build farm?

I've pointed them at this thread. Hopefully I'll get more information
soon.

> * Based on that come up with a rough costing and put it to the FreeBSD
>   Foundation.  You might even want to talk to them earlier and see if
>   it was something they were even interested in at all.  They have
>   sponsored Java work in the past, but that doesn't mean it fits into
>   their current priorities.
>
> FWIW, changes to the existing openjdk8 and openjdk11 code bases don't
> appear to be all that frequent.  So dedicated machines would likely just
> sit idle most of the time.  Using EC2 on demand instances, assuming
> we have a suitable FreeBSD AMI, and storing the releases on S3 would
> make sense to me, and is likely fairly inexpensive.

Right. I'd guess costs would be pretty minimal.

> My biggest question would be what value does this add versus the existing
> FreeBSD package infrastructure?  That will also feature binary packages
> for all supported FreeBSD versions and costs neither resources nor time
> to set up other maintaining the FreeBSD port (which has to be done anyway=
).

The main advantage for me personally is that I'd be able to fetch
runtime images supporting FreeBSD for use in jlink. My ultimate
intention is to put together a library/command-line tool/Maven plugin
that can automatically fetch JVM runtime images for a range of
architectures and operating systems and produce a jlinked application
image for every specified platform. "Build once, run on a selection of
platforms", sort of thing. The first part of this work is already done:

  https://blog.io7m.com/2018/11/18/choosing-coffee.xhtml
  https://github.com/io7m/coffeepick

As you can probably imagine... None of the supported providers supplies
FreeBSD JVM runtime images. I could, with some hacking, grab the
FreeBSD binary packages and then unpack and reorganize the contents...
But it'd be a lot nicer if FreeBSD was a platform that worked just like
all of the others supported by AdoptOpenJDK and friends.

More people building and running the test suite can't hurt.

--=20
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com