Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:36:37 -0600
From:      drwho <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD Boot problem: 3.1-R

When attempting to boot from CDROM (it's a Toshiba SCSI CDROM), the boot
loaded begins, but when it starts to load the kernel, it fails and complains
that it cannot find the kernel.  Running "ls" at the boot prompt returns
a message about "/: no such file or directory".  I seem to recall it
mentioned something about "device not configured", too...  To me, this
could only mean that it doesn't see my cdrom, but if that's the case, then
how did it begin the boot process?  Also, it has been said that the typical
Toshiba SCSI CDROM should have no problem being recognized.

I also attempted a CD boot on another machine with a cheesy, but
compatible, IDE CDROM, and it too failed -- however, it didn't get quite
so far.

Does this mean there's a problem with the boot sector on the Walnut Creek
3.1-RELEASE CD?

I have not yet attempted to install via floppy-boot, to see if it will read
the CDROM... I'll try that later... but I would like to know if there's
any reason why the CD boot should fail...?

--
Fight email spam:  http://www.cauce.org/