Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 05:35:02 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "David Beck" <dbeck@beckground.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security improvement ?

In message <002c01c09215$c7291220$5b3346c3@no>, "David Beck" writes:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I would like to mention that this thing I describe here:
> - is not for production use (!!!)
> - have serious problems (look at the readme file)
> - mainly for generating discussion about the idea
> - might introduce security problems
>
> The idea here is to introduce further limitations for the usage of syscalls.
> That is to say x process cannot call y syscall, and if he tries it log it
> (somewhere).
> This is like a user (root) configurable profile for a process for calling
> syscalls.
>
> At the moment I wrote a simplified representation of the idea which can
> limit the usage of the syscalls in a specfied jail. This was faster to do
> and
> shows what I think.
>
> http://dbeck.beckground.hu/download/scf-0.0.1.tar.gz
>
> I'm sure that the way it is implemented is bad and instead of writing
> a kernel modul like this should make a patch for the kernel. I'm  working
> on the patch, but in the meantime I'm very much interested what the experts
> say about this.

You may also wish to take a look at Spy.

http://people.freebsd.org/~abial/spy-1.0.tgz

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC