Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 23:13:16 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Craig Johnston <caj@lfn.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum is cool.  anyone bitten recently?

Craig Johnston wrote:

> Well, I'm looking into doing striping and mirroring on a new webserver
> I am bringing up (3.2-stable) and I have to say, vinum looks very cool.
> It took me like half an hour to get it going from first contact.
>
> Nice job Greg -- very straightforward.
>
> Now, the official status of vinum is still alpha, right?  But then
> again I know that that was (is?) the official status of softupdates
> for quite some time and I have been using it with no problems.

Hi,

We've been running vinum for quite a while on a number of systems... It's not
'bitten' us for a while, but it is _extremly_ intolerant of bad
drives/termination/hardware etc.

In fact, I would go as far as saying, nothing stresses the system more than
building the world with a high -j factor on Vinum drives :-)

We have 2 x 4.0-Current boxes running Vinum, and 1 x 3.2-Release box running
vinum - all are healthy so far (Though two of the systems did have a couple of
problems from the outset, which have recently been cured through 'better'
setups (i.e. SCSI bus configuration etc.)...

Having said that - it is 'alpha' / new - and you should take appropriate
precautions... i.e. Don't bet your life on it, and as _always_ have nice
regular backups... :)

-Karl